Friday, October 3, 2008

What Sarah Said - Death Cab For Cutie

What Sarah Said - Death Cab For Cutie

And it came to me then that every plan is a tiny prayer to father time
As I stared at my shoes in the ICU that reeked of piss and 409
And I rationed my breaths as I said to myself that I'd already taken too much today
As each descending peak on the LCD took you a little farther away from me
Away from me

Amongst the vending machines and year-old magazines in a place where we only say goodbye
It stung like a violent wind that our memories depend on a faulty camera in our minds
But I knew that you were a truth I would rather lose than to have never lain beside at all
And I looked around at all the eyes on the ground as the TV entertained itself

'Cause there's no comfort in the waiting room
Just nervous pacers bracing for bad news
And then the nurse comes round and everyone will lift their heads
But I'm thinking of what Sarah said that "Love is watching someone die"

So who's going to watch you die?..

Play-A-Day (Day 13)

Lights up on a living room setting of a middle class couple in there mid to late twenties. Their is no one in the room but a phone begins to ring and then a voice is heard explaining that one Sarah was in a certain hospital after an accident. The room is set up on either the left or the right of the stage leaving room for another small separate room on the other side of the stage. After a moment a man walks in, Jason, he is carrying with him a bag opf groceries which he begins to place into their respective locations in the room. In the middle of this he see there is a message on the answering machine and switches it on. The first message that plays is just an employer calling to remind him about a file that is needed. Jason erases that message once it has finished. The next message is the one about Sarah. As it plays lights slowly come up on the opposite side of the stage in a medical room where Sarah is lying on a bed in the hospital. She is badly beaten up and the beep of her heart rate is steady but slow. There are two or three people around her. As it begins to play Jason doesn't fully comprehend what is going on as he is only half listening. The moment it says she was in an accident however Jason drops whatever he is holding and moves over to the phone and listens to the rest of the message intently. Once it has finished he replays it again. Then once more. The last time while it is playing he sicks into the couch in the middle of the room. He then picks up a picture of Sarah and him that is on the table in front of him. He holds it tenderly in his hands.

Jason
[To the picture] How could this happen to you?... Why did this happen to you? What did you ever do wrong?... [A pause] I'm coming for you.

Jason exits offstage and lights fade from the room he was in but remain up on the room Sarah is in. Jason then enters.

Jason
Sarah!...Oh Sarah what happened?

Sarah
[Weak and barely able to speak] Jason...I was worried...that...that...you...might not...

Jason
Shh shh... you rest right now. Save your strength. Whatever it is you can tell me when you're stronger.

They both remain silent for the next few moment with Jason holding Sarahs hand and stroking her hair. Sarah then breaks the silence

Sarah
[Weakly] Remember what I told you about love?

Jason
[A little teary eyed] No what about love?

Sarah
Love is watching someone die...

Jason
[Breaking down] No...Sarah...Sarah your not dying...your going to be ok

Sarah
[Reaching up and touching Jason on the cheek] It's ok...I know that you love me...that's all I need

The heart moniter then fails and nurses and docters rush in pulling Jason away from Sarah who stands by helplessly watching Sarah die. Lights fade

No comments: