Saturday, October 18, 2008

We Looked Like Giants - Death Cab For Cutie

We Looked Like Giants - Death Cab For Cutie

God bless the daylight,
the sugary smell of springtime
Remembering when you were mine
In a still suburban town
When every thursday I'd brave those mountain passes
And you'd skip your early classes
And we'd learn how our bodies worked.
God damn the black night with all it's foul temptation
I become what I always hated
When I was with you then
We looked like giants in the back of my grey subcompact
Fumbling to make contact
As the others slept inside
And together there
In a shroud of frost, the mountain air
Began to pass from every pane of weathered glass
And I held you closer than anyone would ever get
Do you remember the JAMC?
And reading aloud from magazines
I don't know about you but I swear on my name they could smell it on me
I've never been too good with secrets.
No...And together there
In a shroud of frost and mountain air
Began to pass through every pane of weathered glass
And I held you closer...

Play-A-Day (Day??)

Lights up on a small apartment. In the middle of the stage is a small dining room table with a man and woman sitting at it. They are slowly eating their meal. Off to the side of the stage is some packed luggage. On top if it is a winter coat. Their is an uneasiness to the man while he eats and he keeps glancing at the woman. Who catches him from time to time.

Woman
[Catching him] Ok would you just tell me what the problem is?

Man
[Caught off-guard] Oh nothing really.

Woman
You're lying. I can always tell you're lying when you add some stupid word like really onto the end of you're sentence. Now tell me? Please.

Man
Look let's just finish this meal. Don't want anything that could possibly ruin this meal.

Woman
Do you promise you'll tell me?

Man
Yes.

Lights fade. Lights come back up at the man has his coat on and is getting ready to leave. The woman walks over to him.

Woman
Will you tell me now?

Man
[Taking a second] Ok. Jullie is pregnant.

Woman
[Awkwardly] Well uhmm congradulations.

Man
No, that's not it. That's the reason I have to tell you this.

Woman
[sensing what it is] Oh god...

Man
I can't keep doing this. You know I love you. But it wouldn't be right.

Woman
No. No I understand.

Man
I'm so sorry. I never meant for it to be this way.

Woman
Please just get out. [Beginning to cry]

Man
[Trying to approach her] Is there...

Woman
Just go!

Man
I'm sorry

Woman
Whatever

The man then picks up his luggage and exits offstage. The woman watches as the man walks away. Once he is a good distance away the woman lifts her shirt a little and feels her stomach and begins to cry. Lights fade