Thursday, October 2, 2008

Existentialism On Prom Night - Straylight Run

Existentialism On Prom Night - Straylight Run

When the sun came up, We were sleeping in,
Sunk inside our blankets,Sprawled across the bed,
And we were dreaming, There are moments when,
When I know it and the world revolves around us,
And we're keeping it, Keep it all going,
This delicate balance, Vulnerable all knowing,
Sing like you think no one's listening,
You would kill for this, Just a little bit, Just a little bit,
You would kill for this
Sing like you think no one's listening,
You would kill for this, Just a little bit, Just a little bit,
You would, you would...
Sing me something soft, Sad and delicate, Or loud and out of key,
Sing me anything, we're glad for what we've got,
Done with what we've lost
Our whole lives laid out right in front of us,
Sing like you think no one's listening,
You would kill for this, Just a little bit, Just a little bit, You would,
Sing like you think no one's listening,
You would kill for this, Just a little bit, Just a little bit, You would, you would....
Sing me something soft, Sad and delicate, Or loud and out of key, Sing me anything.

Play-A-Day (Day 12)

Lights up on a peaceful bedroom. The room is in pristine condition and is nearly spotless. The lights off the side of the stage give the impression the sun is just rising. At the center of the stage is a young couple lying in bed together. This couple can be of any sexual orientation. As the offstage lights give the effect of the sun one of the two begins to rise and walks over to the other and softly kisses he/she/it on the head and then turns and ventures offstage and is offstage for about five minutes. About a minute into this the other person begins to stir and slowly awakes and after he/she/it looks around and sees that their partner is gone he/she/it goes offstage on the other side of the stage and when he/she/it comes back this person is wearing a bathrobe and walks back to the bed and sits down and reaches into the night stand on that side and pulls out a pair of glasses and places them upon his/her/its head. The one who had been offstage now return and is carrying in a breakfast tray over to his/her/its partner.

One
I made you breakfast [Smiling cheerfully]

Two
I couldn't tell [Standing to kiss him/her/it on the lips and then does]

One
Now you sit down and eat this delicious meal I made you.

Two
[Laying down in bed with the tray overlapping] Well alright then [Begins to eat the wonderous meal set forth]

One
[Laying down on the opposite side of the bed leaning over staring towards the other] You know how perfect this is? I woke up this morning and saw that sun and for a moment could have sworn I was in heaven, seeing you there beside me with such absolute pristine beauty around us.

Two
[Gently looking over] I know what you mean. I can't think of much more perfect. [Smiling tenderly]

One
I love you, you know that.

Two
I do. [Quietly] Sing me something soft sad and delicate or loud and out of key...sing me anything

One then begins to softly sing to two as the lights begin to fade. Lights out

1 comment:

gmihalik said...

"Sing me something soft sad and delicate or loud and out of key...sing me anything."

I like how you're integrating the song into the plays; besides direct lines in the dialogue, the mood really comes through. Great stage directions have a lot to do with this. Nice work!