Monday, May 11, 2009

Scrubs season 7 episode 1

A single light is up on the center of the stage where a full length mirror is standing facing so that the audience can see it when an actor looks into it. Next to the mirror within the light is a chair and next to that stands a young man and woman. They breifly kiss as lights go up and the woman exits offstage. The man stands with a smile on his face. The further the woman is from the man the less of a smile the man shows until she is gone as is the smile. The man looks around before settling into the chair and stares into the mirror. He stares for a while examining himself and then runs his hands through his hair in a sense of frustration.

Man
We stand here together every morning and we tell each other we love each other. Every morning it becomes harder for me to hear. I can barely even make it out anymore. It's like when the morning winds have just begun to flow only instead of the morning, knowing they will strengthen, it's the height of the day. I stand there look into her eyes and all that remains within is this feeling of apathy. All that this is is an obligation. It's something you have to take on when you've made a commitment to a mistake. Neither of us ever meant for something that careless to happen it was just a mistake we're both now having to deal with. Well more me deal because all that remains is a lingering hope I can just be in love with her. I might stop even short of love as long as it meant a happiness. This routine is heartbreaking to know that this rouge I've built for her and our daughter is nothing but an empty shell of lies. There's nothing left but to continue to act out the life I've molded from clay as black as night. It is my obligation to be the man I have displayed myself as being. But with the wind dying down the horizons' appeal becomes so much more. But what right have I to destroy a life for the sake of my own, little less two lives. I don't even recognize you anymore. Once so strong and hopeful now a mere shell filled with the lies you'd for so long given.

Stands up and moves away from the mirror

For the sake of my memory I can no longer look at you lest my disgust deepen. Farewell

He exits and walks offstage. The mirror still holds his image cheerful and strong as the lights fade.

No comments: